New performance trimaran from Swedish designer Stefan Törnblom.

Other successful trimaran designs from him are Gepard, T35, SeaOn96, T29 & KISS T30.

• Light weight, top quality build with performance focus but still with basic accomodation for cruising

• Built in 100% carbon fibre/epoxy by leading and innovative Vaxholm Komposit in Stockholm, Sweden. Starting with a promo serie of five boats

• An easily demountable trimaran to be built much lighter, stronger and to a lower cost compared with a fouldable – the floats are easily handled by two persons

• Hull length 8.60m – Beam 6.60m – Sailing weight 1 100kg – Mainsail 33m2 – Overlapping jib 22m2 – Assymetric kite (masthead) 68 m2

Designer´s comments on the T28:

T28 – MY DREAM BOAT WITH FOCUS ON THE SAILING EXPERIENCE.

This boat is designed for a usage typical of Stockholm, Sweden – double handed racing in the archipelago combined with weekend cruising.

To keep the cost low, compared to my latest design the T29, I’ve chosen a little smaller and lighter format needing smaller rig, sails and equipment and also less carbon fibre. I’ve also chosen to go for fixed carbon fibre beams and waterstays which eliminates the need of structure to handle compression loads on the main hull. An easily demountable trimaran can be built much lighter, stronger and to a lower cost than a foldable one. For trailer transport and hard stand storage the floats can be easily handled by two persons.

The sail plan is, compared to the T29, designed with the mast further back for larger head sails, a little lower main sail and mast. T28 is light enough to do ok with a self tacking jib but for racing I see an overlapping max jib with a reef. The thought is also that the boat is sailed without screecher/code 0 and with a high aspect masthead kite.

I’ve chosen to design the T28 with pivoting centerboards in the floats line operated from the cockpit. Apart from better space in the cabin this also give them higher efficiency through increased righting moment working metres to leward of the mast and they can be placed optimally lengthwise and made as deep as needed. Alternatively you can opt for daggerboards which would be both lighter and less costly. These could then be angled or curved for downwind lift but then loose the security feature to kick up if grounding (a lot of rocks in our archipelago). Also a light boat like this should be raced with the centrehull skimming the water which will make a central center-/daggerboard less efficient.

The motive for a central rudder is mainly simplicity, lower cost and weight. Also I’ve never experienced any steering issues on my designs when only skimming or slightly lifting the centre hull. High lifts are more for the photographer than performance efficiency anyway.

The floats are designed with a lot of volume in the ends for good diagonal sailing stability and with a lot of reserve deplacement when pushing hard. The T28 should be non dramatic (fun) to sail with lifted centre hull.

The boat will be built in 100% carbon fibre and epoxy, the same for rig, beams and bowsprit.

Estimated price is 120 K € excl. VAT, rudder, centerboards, beams and rig. Excluded from this are running rigging, sails, deck hardware and loose interior like cooker and cushions.

The boat will be built by Vaxholm Komposit, Stockholm, Sweden – to spread the cost for molds and tools, five ordered boats will be needed before build start – boat #1 is ordered. With these five boats on water more boat orders are expected since there’s a true demand for a modern, really performance oriented trimaran and the existing alternatives on the market are few.

/Stefan Törnblom